- We offer:
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
- Respite/Short-Term Stays
Effective as of January 13, 2009
Information Collected About You
FVE collects certain personal information about you whenever you send an email to FVE or complete one of our online forms, such as the Email Alert form. The personal information you provide can identify you and your business, and includes such items as your name, your employer’s name, email and U.S. mail address, and office and home telephone and fax numbers.
FVE also collects or logs other information about you when you visit our website. This information includes your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address and your domain name. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer by the Internet Service Provider (“ISP”) computer through which you access the Internet, and a domain name is the name of the ISP computer itself through which you access the Internet.
FVE logs IP addresses and domain names and aggregates them for system administration and to monitor the use of our website. We use the aggregated information, for example, to measure the number of visits to our website, the average time spent on our website, the number of pages viewed and to monitor various other website statistics. We also collect personal and company information that you provide by filling out one of our online forms. If you have joined our Email Alert service, we may send you, via email, press releases or SEC filings or notifications of press releases or SEC filings that have been posted to our website. If you do not wish to receive these communications from us, please unsubscribe by clicking here [provide link].
Contacting FVE through Email
If you have a question or comment about FVE, our website or the website’s content, you may contact us by any of the ways listed on the Contact Us link on our website. Please be aware that any submission to and/or communication with FVE is subject to our Terms and Conditions, and your submission indicates your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions. Our Terms and Conditions are also available on our website and may be viewed by clicking here.
How Your Information Is Used
We use the information you have provided to us in an online form to respond to your request for information about FVE or comments you may have about our website, for our management or Board of Directors, our governance practices or other services provided by FVE. If you so request, you may be added to our email distribution list.
We do not provide personal information to third parties for their sale or use. We will, however, disclose personal information to comply with valid legal processes such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, or to protect our rights and property or the property or personal safety of another user of the website or any member of the public.
Changing or Deleting Your Email Address and Other Information
All information that you provide to us is collected and stored automatically at the time that you provide your information. If you would like to delete your email address from our Email Alert list, please unsubscribe from the Email Alert list by clicking here [provide link].
From time to time, FVE may also request a verification of your email address in order to update the Email Alerts distribution lists we maintain. FVE may delete email addresses from the Email Alert distribution list when Email addresses cannot be verified. An email address that can not be verified will be removed from the Email Alert list. If you believe that you have been mistakenly removed from the Email Alerts list, please contact us at [provide link].
Removal of Your Information from Our Website
FVE will honor your written request to delete information about you from our system. However, the need to back up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of your information may exist in an archival copy of our electronic files even after it is removed from our active files.
How Your Information Is Protected
Notice of Privacy Practices
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW
YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
This notice is for those receiving health care services at Five Star Quality Care’s
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Assisted living communities
- Continuing care retirement communities
- Rehabilitation hospitals
- Outpatient rehabilitation clinics
- Pharmacies & pharmacy services
Your privacy is a priority at Five Star Quality Care and its associated facilities. We follow strict federal and state guidelines to maintain the confidentiality of your personal “protected health information.” This includes any information about your past, present or future health care, or payment for care that could be used to identify you.
Our team of health care personnel and business associates may access only the minimum of
protected health information needed to complete their responsibilities.
2. Our Responsibilities
Five Star Quality Care is required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information
- Provide this notice of our privacy practices and your privacy rights
- Abide by the terms of the notice
We reserve the right to change our privacy practices, in accordance with the law. Revised notices will be posted in our facilities and will be available at your request at each of our facilities.
3. Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information Without Your Authorization
We may use and disclose your protected health information without written authorization for:
- Treatment – to allow the health care staff to share information necessary for your health care. Examples include:
- Test results
- Treatments, medications and treatment/medication responses
- Payment – to provide necessary information about services you receive so you, your insurance company, or other third party can pay us. Examples include:
- Services and supplies provided
- Upcoming treatment or services that require prior authorization
- Health care operations – to use health information to improve the services we provide. Examples include:
- Staff and student training
- Business management
- Performance improvement
- Customer service
- Other related uses and disclosures
- To remind you of appointments
- To inform you of health benefits, services and treatment alternatives
- To communicate with family or persons involved in your care (unless you object)
- To use a directory and inform visitors, callers and clergy where you are and your general condition (unless you object)
In certain situations we are required or permitted by law to disclose your health information without your authorization:
- Emergency treatment situations
- Averting serious threat to public health or safety
- Disaster relief
- Protection of victims of abuse or neglect
- Public health activities, such as tracking diseases and medical devices
- Federal and state health oversight activities, such as accreditation or licensure surveys, and fraud and abuse investigations
- Judicial or administrative proceedings
- Requirements by law or for law enforcement
- Specialized government functions such as national security and intelligence
- Coroners, medical examiners and funeral directors
- Organ donation
- Workers’ compensation for injuries at work
- Correctional institutions if you are an inmate
- Research following strict review to ensure protection of information
Other uses and disclosures not described in this section 3 may only be done with your written authorization. You have the right to revoke your authorization at any time.
4. Your Rights
As a person receiving health care services from Five Star Quality Care, you have the right to:
- Receive information about your health condition, diagnoses and treatments.
- Inspect and get copies (for a fee) of your health information.* This may not include certain restricted information such as psychotherapy notes and law-related information.
- Request a restriction on how or to whom we disclose your health information.* Please note that we are not required to agree to a restriction.
- Request an amendment to your health record. Please note that your request must include a reason.*
- Receive an accounting of how your health information was disclosed, other than disclosures for treatment, payment, health care operations and other cases required by law.*
- Request that we communicate with you using a specific address, phone number, email or other means.*
- Receive a paper copy of this notice.
- Make a complaint about a violation of your privacy or rights.
* Your request must be in writing.
5. To Contact Us
If you want additional information, have questions about this notice, want to exercise your rights, or feel your rights have been violated, contact the Privacy Officer of your facility, who is the Administrator or Executive Director or another designated person. You may also contact the Corporate Privacy Officer at:
Five Star Quality Care
400 Centre Street
Newton, MA 02458
You may also file a complaint with the State or the US Secretary of Health and Human Services. All complaints will be investigated and you will not suffer retaliation for filing a complaint.
Effective February 28, 2007